Have general questions? 056 608 5958

    The Most Comprehensive Glossary Of Hotrod Terminology Online!

    When it comes to building a custom hotrod, it’s important to know the terminology. Whether it’s a colloquial, slang, or a technical term, we’ve got it covered. In fact, we’ve put together the most comprehensive hotrod glossary there is, detailing everything from your drag plate to the nailhead. Are you looking at building a customized hotrod? Wanting to fuel your passion for hotrod racing? Learn all you need to know with our extreme glossary.

    If you think we’ve missed anything, please let us know in the comments, and we’ll add it to the list.

    A-C Hotrod Terms and Slang

    A-400: The A-400 is a convertible 2-door sedan built by Ford before 1932

    A-Bone: The A-Bone is a slang term for the Model A Ford that was produced between 1928 and 1931.

    A-Pillar: The A-Pillar is a section of sheet metal that is located on either side of the windshield between the roof and the main body. The A-Pillar is the part that has to be cut when the car is to be chopped.

    Alky: Alky is the alcohol fuel for racing. Methyl alcohol or methanol are very high-octane fuels and are both a type of Alky.

    AMC: AMC is an acronym for the ‘American Motors Corp’, founded in 1945 AMC merged with the Chrysler Corporation in 1987.

    Anglebox: An Anglebox is British slang for the Ford Anglia.

    Antique: The term’ antique’ refers to any vehicle that is older than 25 years, is unmodified and has been restore to its original condition.

    Ardun heads: Ardun heads were created by Zora Arkus-Duntov around 1947 whilst working with the Ardun Manufacturing Company. Arkus-duntov created overhead valve-cylinder heads with hemispherical combustion chambers that could be bolted to the Ford V-8 60 block. Produced before the Chrysler hemi, the Ardun heads were capable of delivering some serious horsepower for those that could afford them.

    B-400: The B-400 is a convertible 2-door sedan built by Ford in 1932.

    Baby moons: Baby moons are small smooth chrome hubcaps that only cover the center of the wheel.

    Balonies: Balonies is a colloquial term used to describe wide tires, usually found on the rear. They can normally be found on hotrods or drag racing vehicles.

    Bang Shift: A Bang shift is the act of quickly shifting to a standard transmission.

    Banger: A Banger is a colloquial term associated with the cylinders in an engine. It’s normally coupled with a number, for example: a six banger

    Banjo Wheel: A Banjo Wheel is a 1939 Ford steering wheel or a steering wheel of a similarly spoked design.

    Blower: A Blower is a mechanically driven Supercharger. This term excludes turbochargers.

    Blown: Blown has three meanings. It can refer to an engine equipped with a Supercharger, a vehicle with a supercharged engine or an engine that has exploded.

    Basket Case: Basket Case is a term that refers to a car project that is mostly dissembled and therefore must literally be carried home.

    Base Model: A Base Model is the least expensive vehicle with the fewest number of features. It will have the smallest engine and a manual transmission. Base models only contribute to a very small percentage of models sold and is sometimes referred to as a ‘stripper’ or ‘stripped down’ unit.

    Bat-wing: A Bat-wing is the air cleaner from Caddys and Packards between 1953 and 1956.

    Beast: A Beast is a colloquial term used to describe an ugly hotrod.

    Beater: Beater is a term that refers to cars used on an everyday basis. A Beater can be anything from a fairly new model to a world-weary pickup truck.

    Belly pan: A Belly pan is normally made from a sheet of aluminum or steel and is an underbody piece that’s used to help with airflow underneath the car’s body. A Belly pan will be custom fabricated to fit with the specifications of the car.

    Belly Tanker: A Belly Tanker is also known as a Lakester.

    Bent Eight: Bent Eight is a slang term for a V8 Drag Plate.

    Billet: A Billet is a solid bar that’s usually made of aluminum or steel from which a part is carved by machined. This is an alternative to casting.

    Binders: Binders is a colloquial term for the car’s brakes.

    Blower: A Blower is the same as a Supercharger.

    Blower Drive: The term Blower Drive refers to the belt and pulleys that drive a Supercharger.

    Brain bucket: Brain bucket is a slang term for helmet.

    Bobbed: The term Bobbed means shortened. Normally this is done to fenders or frame rails and the term can sometimes be applied to the hood.

    Bondo: Bondo is a brand name for putty used as a body filler. The name is often used as a generic term to describe all products that do the same.

    Boost: A boost refers to the amount of air pressure by a Supercharger.

    Boots: Boots is a colloquial term for tires.

    Bored and Stroked: Bored and Stroked is a term that described engines that have had their cylinder walls enlarged and the crankshaft throw modified to increase engine displacement and crankshaft stroke.

    Bottom end: The Bottom End refers to the lower part of an engine which normally includes the crankshaft, flywheel, bearings and connecting rods.

    Box: The term ‘Box’ can have two meanings. It is either referring to the transmission or the addition of reinforcement of the frame.

    Bucket: A Bucket is a hotrod based on a Ford Model T and can also be referred to as a Bucket T.

    Buggy Spring: A Buggy Spring is the suspension based on the front and rear solid axels, something that is reminiscent of the horse and buggy and a popular choice when building a traditional Ford hotrod.

    Bull Nose: The Bull Nose is a chrome trim piece that normally goes on the top of the hood.

    Bullet Nose: A Bullet Nose is a Studebaker that was built in the late 40s and early 50s.

    C-Notch: The C-Notch is a notch cut into the frame rails for rear axle clearance.

    Californian Rake: The Californian Rake is the downward angle of a car that has had its front suspension dropped.

    Cal-Neva: The Cal-Neva is the California-Nevada Timing Association

    Cam: The Cam is an abbreviation of Camshaft and refers to an engine piece that activates the valves.

    Cammer: A Cammer is an engine with an overhead camshaft.

    Carson top: A Carson top is a solid, removable hardtop that’s been covered with some soft material. They were made famous by the Carson Co. in the 30s and in the 50s they became a hot trend for those building custom hotrods. George and Sam Barris in Southern California applied several Carson tops to their creations.

    CC-ing: CC-ing is the accurate measuring of the combustion changer, or each cylinder, to equalize the volume in high-performance engines.

    Channeled: The term channeled refers to the dropping of the car body over the frame in order to reduce the profile or overall height of the vehicle. The process consists of sectioning the firewall, cutting the perimeter of the floor plan and then welding it at the desired height. Initially this was done on hotrods to allow for more stability at higher speeds, to reduce wind resistance and lower the center of gravity. A car that’s now channeled is normally done so for more aesthetic purposes.

    Cherry: The term cherry is used to describe something that’s ‘like new’.

    Chop: Chop is a term that refers to a hardtop car that’s had its roof lowered.

    CID: The acronym CID refers to the ‘Cubic Inch Displacement’ of an engine.

    Classic: A classic car was built between 1925 and 1948. Normally, a classic car is identifiable by its fine or unusual design, high engineering and standards and excellent workmanship.

    Coach: Coach is another name for a sedan

    Convertible: A convertible is a soft-top car with a collapsible roof.

    Coupe: A coupe is any car with just a front seat.

    Crank: The term crank can either refer to the crankshaft or be used as slang, meaning to go fast: ‘Crank on it’

    Caret engine: A crate engine is a factory built engine that is ready to run.

    Cruise: The term cruise means to drive in a relaxed manner.

    Custom: The word custom refers to a car that has been altered or modified.

    D-F Hotrod Terms and Slang

    Dago: Dago is a term used to describe a dropped front-end.

    Dago Axle: The Dago Axle is a popular axle that was made in San Diego.

    Decked: Decked refers to the removal of chrome handles and trim from the trunk of a car.

    Deuce: ‘Deuce’ is a nickname for a 1932 Ford.

    Dig Out: The term Dig-Out refers to hard acceleration.

    Digger: A Digger is another name for a Dragster.

    Drag Plate: A Drag Plate is an aluminum car club plaque that is attached with chains and will hang so low it’s likely to either drag on the road or be hit when going up driveways or over bumps.

    Drag racing: Drag racing is an acceleration competition performed on a drag strip, normally over a quarter of a mile.

    Drag strip: A drag strip is a track where drag racing takes place. Normally, a drag strip is a quarter of a mile.

    Dragster: A dragster is a vehicle that’s been modified specifically for use on strips.

    Drop the hammer: The term ‘Drop the hammer’ refers to revving the engine and popping the clutch.

    Dual set-up: Dual set-up is an early hotrod term that is used to describe an engine with a dual intake manifold and equipped with 2 carburetors.

    Dutchman Panel: A Dutchman Panel is a piece of metal that can be found between the trunk and the rear window.

    DuVall windshield: A DuVall windshield is a streamlined, v-shaped split windshield that was designed by George Duvall.

    EFI: An EFI is the Electronic Fuel Injection and is used to replace the carburetor.

    Elephant: An elephant is a slang name for a hemi engine.

    Fadeaways: The term fadeaways refers to how the front fender section gradually flows to the rear fender section. Fadeaways give a car a new, smooth look and rounded bodyline.

    Fat: A Fat is the over-rich fuel mixture that is signified by excessive black smoke.

    Fat Fendered: Fat-Fendered cars were built between 1935 and 1948 and are recognizable by their larger, more bulbous fenders.

    Flatty: A flatty is a flathead engine.

    Fragged: ‘Fragged’ is a term used to describe a blown engine or transmission.

    Free Breather: A Free Breather is an engine where the air that goes into the cylinders is not forced in like it is with Turbochargers and Superchargers.

    Fender Skirts: Fender skirts are panels that partially cover the rear wheels

    Filled axle: A filled axle characteristically has both sides of the ‘I’ beam section filled with metal in order to provide added strength to the structure.

    Filled roof: A filled roof no longer has the original wood and fabric insert but has had it replaced by a steel panel.

    Five window: ‘Five window’ is a term used to describe a coupe body that has 5 windows (excluding he windshield)

    Flathead: A flathead is an engine that has valves in the cylinder block instead of the head. Generally the word ‘flathead’ is used to describe a Ford V8 engine that was built between 1932 and 1953.

    Flamed: Flamed is a word used to describe flame decals that start at the front of a hotrod and move towards the back. Check out our awesome post on decals. Check out our awesome post on decals.

    Flame Throwers: Flame throwers are devices used to ignite unburnt gas and shoots flames out the exhaust.

    Floor pan: the floor pan refers to the floor of a vehicle.

    Fordor: A Fordor is the Ford name for a 4-door sedan.

    Four Banger: A four banger is a 4-cylinder engine.

    Four Barrel: The term four barrel can either refer to a 4-cylinder engine or a type of carburetor.

    Frame-off restoration: A frame-off restoration involves a restoration project where the entire vehicle is completely disassembled. All the parts are individually cleaned or replaced, resulting in a restored car that is as close to the original factory specifications as possible.

    Frame-up restoration: a frame-up restoration doesn’t go into as much detail as the frame-off because the car is never disassembled but it involves restoring paint, chrome and the interior.

    Frenched: The term ‘Frenched’ refers to the recessing of head or taillights that are then smoothed into the body panels.

    Fuel Injector: The fuel injector is a mechanical device that introduces fuel into the engine and is an alternative to a carburetor in a petrol engine.

    G-K Hotrod Terms and Slang

    Gasser: A Gasser is a modified closed car that competes in drag races and runs only on gasoline. They’re based on production models between the 1930s and mid-1960s. Gassers are stripped of all additional weight in order for better acceleration.

    Gear Box: The gear box is another name for the transmission.

    Gennie: Gennie is a colloquial term for genuine. It is used to describe a car that is the real deal and not a remake or copy.

    Ghost Flames: Ghost flames are similar to flame decals, but instead of appearing in contrast to the paint work, they’re normally either a few shades lighter or darker.

    Grab Rails: Grab rails are handles that have been mounted onto the body. Grab rails are usually installed to help passengers get in to a rumble seat.

    Grocery Getter: The term ‘Grocery Getter’ refers to a street rod that’s used to go to the store and back.

    Gutted: Gutted refers to a rod that’s been hollowed.

    Gook Wagon: A Gook Wagon is a Ford over 30 years old with almost all the Western Auto or JC Whitney accessories.

    Guide lights: Guide lights can be found on cars from the late 1930s. The term refers to the externally mounted headlights that had a small light attached to the top.

    Handeler: The term ‘handeler’ is used to describe a rod that is very easy to drive.

    Haze the Hides: The term ‘Haze the Hides’ is the action of spinning and smoking the rear tires.

    Headers: Headers are specialized exhaust manifolds. Normally they’re welded steel tubing and can come in various shapes and diameters in order to reduce the exhaust back pressure and increase power.

    Hemi: A Hemi is an engine produced by Chrysler that had hemispherical heads and was best known for its high performance. Now the term ‘hemi’ can refer to any engine with hemispherical combustion chambers.

    Hides: The term ‘hides’ refers to the tires.

    Highboy: A highboy is a customized, fenderless Model A Ford coupe or stock-body roadster without the stock fenders and bumpers.

    Hopped up: Hopped up refers to an engine that’s been modified in order to increase its performance

    Hotrod: A hotrod is a post-WWII car with a modified engine.

    Huffer: A huffer a Supercharger. (Please see supercharger)

    Hydro: A Hydro is an automatic transmission. The term ‘Hydro’ comes for the name: Hydromatic, which is a GM transmission that was used during the 50s.

    Hammer: A hammer is the same as a chop. (Please see chop)

    In the Weeds: The term ‘in the weeds’ has two meanings. It can either mean a low vehicle or it can refer to having lost control of the car and ending in the ditch on the side of the road.

    Igniter: The igniter is the part of the engine that ignites the system.

    Juice: The term ‘juice’ refers to what makes the car, go whether that’s fuel or electricity, but it can also refer to hydraulic fluid.

    Juice brakes: Juice brakes are hydraulic brakes as opposed to mechanical ones.

    Kemp: A kemp is a hotrod with a customized body.

    Knock Offs: The term ‘Knock Offs’ refers to a wheel system that is held entirely in place by a single nut.

    L-P Hotrod Terms and Slang

    Lake pipes: Lake pipes are side-exit exhaust pipes that run along the bottom edge of the vehicle, beneath the rocker panels.

    Lake plugs: Lake plugs are exhaust cut outs.

    Lakes: The Lakes is a place in Southern California where hotrodders race their cars.

    Lakes Modified: The term ‘Lakes Modified’ refers to a vehicle that has been specially modified to race at the dry lakes.

    Lakester: A Lakester is a car that has streamlined customized bodywork but exposed wheels. It’s a class designation for the Lakes for vehicles made after 1950.

    Leadsled: The term ‘leadsled’ refers to a custom car that has used lead as a filler for smoothing custom body effects.

    Lean it Out: The term ‘lean it out’ is used to describe the action of improving engine performance by altering the fuel mixture. It is a way to use less fuel but will ultimately fry the engine.

    Locker: A locker helps prevent tire spin and will distribute torque evenly between the rear wheels.

    Loud Petal: the Loud Petal is the accelerator pedal.

    Louvers: Louvers are vents that have been cut in to various body panels, they can normally be found on the hood and trunk to increase ventilation.

    Louie: A Louie is another name for a left hand turn.

    Lowboy: A lowboy is a customized Model A Ford that’s been channeled. (see channelled)

    Mag: Mag is a slang term used to describe a wheel with magnesium alloys.

    Magneto: A Magneto is a self-contained ignition system.

    Mill: Mill is a slang term for any internal combustion engine.

    Modified: Modified is another Lakes class designation. It refers to a car that didn’t fit the roadster class and is normally has a single-seat and a sprint-car type body but regulations require that a Modified must have a minimum of 400 inch2 behind the pit.

    Molded: Molded is a term used to describe the filling and reshaping of body panels.

    Moon Disks: Moon disks are flat aluminum wheel covers that were originally used for land speed racers.

    Mouse Motor: A Mouse Motor is a small block Chevy that began production in 1955.

    Mountain motor: A mountain motor is a large displacement engine and were made in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.

    MRA: MRA is an abbreviation for the Muroc Racing Association.

    MTA: MTA is an abbreviation for Mojave Timing Association.

    Muscle car: A muscle car is a North American car produced between 1964 and 1972 that has a large displacement V8 engine.

    Nail: A Nail is a car that’s used for everyday use.

    Nailhead: A Nailhead is a 1950s V8 Buick engine. It got its name from the small diameter valves.

    Nerf: Nerf is a colloquialism of Nerf Bars. Nerf bars are tubular bumpers.

    Newstalgia: The term ‘Newstalgia’ refers to a rod style vehicle that mimics the 50s and 60s. However, it employs modern components and body parts.

    Nitro: Nitro is a fuel additive used in some drag cars.

    NOS: The term NOS can have two meaning depending on context:

    • NOS can be an abbreviation for Nitrus Oxide System (also known as a liquid supercharger) which provides an increase in horsepower. An NOS system introduces nitrous oxide into the air intake of an engine before fuel enters the cylinder.
    • NOS can also be an abbreviation for New Old Stock. These are parts that were initially manufactured at the same time of the original vehicle but were never sold.

    Over-bore: An over-bore is an engine that’s had its cylinders enlarged in order to increase piston sizer and cubic inch displacement.

    Overhead: The term ‘overhead’ is used to describe engines with overhead valves

    Overwind: Overwind is the action of running an engine faster in RPM than its designed limits.

    Pearl Paint: Pearl paint is a type of paint that reflects iridescent colors. It achieves this by using Mica particles in the mixture. Mica is semi-transparent and a type of crystalline material. It absorbs and reflects like light a prism.

    Pinched: The term ‘pinched’ refers to the narrowing of the front frame in order to match the grill shell.

    Pit Pins: Pit pins hold body panels in place and are quick release pins.

    Phaeton: A Phaeton is a sedan that was manufactured between the late 20s and the late 30s. They had no roll up windows and could have both 2- and 4-doors.

    Pin Stripe: Pin stripes are long narrow stripes that normally run the length of the car.

    Ported: Ported is a term used to refer to the enlarged and polished intake and exhaust ports.

    Poncho: Poncho is a clang term for a Pontiac.

    Power Parker: A Power Parker is someone who arrives early to an event for the sole purpose of acquiring a good parking space.

    Puffer: Puffer is another name for a supercharger (see Supercharger)

    Punched out: Punched out is a term used to describe a bored engine.

    R-T Hotrod Terms and Slang

    Rag top: A rag top is a convertible

    Rail job: A rail job refers to a dragster that has an exposed front frame.

    Rails: Rails are the frame side rails

    Raked: The term ‘raked refers to the forward-leaning stance of a vehicle when viewing it from the side.

    Rat: A rat is a big block V8 Chevy engine such as the 454 or 427. Take a look at our post on the best engines of all time.

    Repro: repro is a slang term to refer to the reproduction parts that are made to match or replace NOS parts.

    Relieving: The term relieving refers to the removal of the ridge in the top of the block during manufacture for the valve seat.

    Resto rod: A resto rod is a stocky looking vehicle but with modern running gear

    Reversed eyes: The term ‘reversed eyes’ refers to the change in shape of the standard Ford traverse-leaf spring. Initially it curled down and around the shackle pin but were reshaped to curl upwards, and thus lowered the car approximately 1.5 inches without inhabiting the spring’s effectiveness.

    Roadster: A Roadster is a two-seater, convertible vehicle without side windows.

    Rod: The term ‘rod’ has two meanings. It’s either a short for ‘hotrod’ or it refers to a connecting rod.

    Rod run: A rod run is an event that’s only open to pre-62 vehicles.

    Roll cage: A roll cage is a special cage made out of steel tubes. It is installed within the car to protect the driver and any passengers in the event that the car might roll over.

    Rolled pan: A rolled pan is a sheet of metal that has been contoured in the place where the bumper used to be and rolls back under the vehicle.

    Roller: Roller is a term that has two meanings. It is either a chassis that is complete enough to roll around on its own, or it can be a reference to a type of camshaft that uses roller lifters.

    Roscoe: A Roscoe is another name for a right hand turn.

    RPM: RPM is an acronym for Revolutions Per Minute. This is the number of rotations the engine crankshaft completes in a minute.

    Rubber rake: A rubber rake is the forward rake of a car. It’s achieved with big rear tires and small front ones.

    Rumble seat: A rumble seat is an uncovered, folding seat found in the rear of the car, normally where the trunk should be.

    Running on rails: The term ‘running on rails’ is slang and used to describe a car that handles perfectly as if it was attached to a rail.

    RTA: RTA is an abbreviation for Russetta Timing Association.

    Salt flats: the salt flats are a large expanse of land at the west edge of the Great Salt Lake Desert in Utah used for racing.

    Scatter Shield: A scatter shield is a protective enclosure that acts as a guide should a clutch explode.

    SCTA: SCTA is an abbreviation for Southern California timing Association

    Scoop: A scoop is a device that forces air into the engine. It is normally mounted to the hood and operates at high speeds.

    Sectioned: The term ‘sectioned’ refers to the removal of a horizontal piece of the body in order to reduce the overall height.

    Sedan: A Sedan is a car with both front and rear seats.

    Set-in: The term ‘set-in’ is used to describe a license plate that has been set inside the body in order for the surrounding metal to remain flush.

    Single stick: a single stick is a single overhead camshaft engine.

    Skirts: Skirts is a term that refers to the cover of the wheel well opening.

    Slammed: The term slammed describes a hotrod that is as close to the ground as it can get.

    Slush box: A slush box is an automatic transmission.

    Six in a row: Six in a row is a slang term used to describe an inline 6-cylinder engine.

    Shaved: The term shaved refers to the removal of the trim and door handles.

    Shot rod: A shot rod is the same as a rat rod but is unreliable.

    Sleeper: A sleeper is a vehicle that doesn’t look as fast as it really is.

    Smoothy: Smoothy refers to a hotrod that has had all raised portions of the body removed.

    Speed shift: A speed shift is a fast shift made whilst the accelerator is kept to the floor.

    Split window: A split window normally refers to the rear window of a vehicle where two panes of glass are separated by a piece of bodywork. This is a feature of the 1963 Corvette.

    Spots: Spots is a colloquialism for spot light.

    Squirt brakes: Squirt brakes are the same as juice brakes (please see juice brakes)

    Stacks: The term ‘stacks’ has two meanings and can either refer to short, individual exhaust stacks or the short velocity stacks mounted on the top of carburetors.

    Steelies: Steelies are wheels made from steel.

    Step Plates: Step plates are pads mounted on fenders to prevent the paint or rubber from being scratched or getting dirty.

    Stick shift: A stick shift is a floor mounted gear shift lever.

    Streamliner: The streamliner is another class designation that includes pre-WWII cars that didn’t qualify for the stock-body roadster class. Streamliner cars have narrow bodies and exposed wheels. In 1949, the classification changed slightly and only included cars with full envelope bodies and the open-wheeled vehicles became lakesters.

    Street legal: The term ‘street legal’ refers to a car that his dual-purpose. During the work it’s used as an everyday car but at the weekends it’s used for racing.

    Strip: Strip is a colloquial term used to describe a drag strip.

    Stroking: Stroking is the regrinding of the rod journals to move their center further away from the crankshaft. This increases the displacement of the engine with a longer-stroke crankshaft.

    Suede: Suede is another name for a primer.

    Suicide axle: A suicide axle is heavily modified suspension that lowers the car.

    Suicide door: A suicide door is a door that has rear hinges.

    Suicide knob: A suicide knob is a knob attached to the steering wheel.

    Supercharger: A Supercharger is a mechanical device that forces air into the engine, increasing the atmospheric pressure on the engine and providing a boost in horsepower.

    Street Machine: The term ‘Street Machine’ refers to a hotrod built after 1949.

    Street rod: The term ‘street rod’ refers to a hotrod built before 1949.

    T Bucket: A T Bucket is an opened T body hotrod without fenders.

    TPI: TPI is an acronym for Tuned Port Injection.

    Tach: A Tach is a device used to read RPM. The full name is Tachometer.

    Three-on-the-tree: A three-on-the-tree is a column-shift mechanism for a 3-speed transmission

    Time: The word ‘time’ is sometimes used in place of ‘speed’ as the speed of the race is measured from the time it takes to cover a specific distance.

    Time traps: Time traps are measured distances where the car is timed. A time will be logged at regular intervals along the track.

    Timing tag: A timing tag is a brass plate with the details of the race, including the speed, date and location. Sometimes, timing tags are mounted on the instrument panel when they’re fast.

    Trad rad: A trad rad is a street rod that’s been built in a style reminiscent of the 50s and 60s.

    Track nose: A track nose is a streamlined grill.

    Trailer queen: A trailer queen is a derogatory term for a hotrod that is never driven. When attending shows, it is carted there on a trailer.

    Tranny: Tranny is a slang term short for transmission.

    Tubbed: A car that is tubbed has had its wheel well size enlarged to accommodate large tires. This normally happens on the rear axle.

    Tudor: A tudor is the Ford name for a 2-door sedan.

    Tuned header: A tuned header will have all its tubes the same length between the flange and the collector. This creates an equal back pressure.

    Two-port job: A two-port job refers to a model A or B block with a 2-intake-port head.

    U-Z Hotrod Terms and Slang

    U Joints: U joints is colloquial for universal joints and they can be found at each end of the drive shaft.

    Uncorked: when a car is uncorked, it is running without mufflers.

    Unlimited: Unlimited is a car class for pre-WWII cars with large engines.

    V Butting: The term v-butting is the process of merging two flat windshield sections after the center post has been removed.

    Victoria: A Victoria is a sporty car that features the body from a 2-door sedan and a different rear body panel.

    Vintage: Vintage is a term that refers to vehicles that were built between 1915 and 1942.

    Wedge: A wedge is a Chrysler engine that has wedge-shaped combustion chambers.

    Whitewall: A whitewall is the concentric white line on a tire.

    Wide Weenies: Wide weenies are large rear tires.

    Wires: Wires are spoked wire wheels

    Woodie: A Woodie is a station wagon with wooden paneling

    WTA: WTA is an abbreviation for Western Timing Association.

    X Member: The x-member is where the frame rails meet or cross in the center.

    Y Block: A Y-block is a cylinder block that has deep pan rails.

    Z’d Frame: The Z’d frame is a technique used to lower a car without affecting its suspension geometry. It would involve cutting part of the chassis and then rewilding it in a Z formation.

    Zoomies: Zoomies can be found on street rods and are short, open exhaust pipes. Normally zoomies are just for racing but can be installed for show, but they’re not road legal.

    Share This Story!

    You may also like

    No Comment

    You can post first response comment.

    Leave A Comment

    Please enter your name. Please enter an valid email address. Please enter a message.


    Contact Us